Thursday, October 23, 2008

"Here I Am"

Out of everything in Genesis 22, I found the reply "Here I Am" to be the most striking. We all know about how God repaid Abraham's faithfulness and trust when he offered up Isaac. It's not a small nor insignificant lesson by any means but the main sticking point for me is how Abraham responds to God's call.

"Here I Am"

I find "living for God" and "walking with Christ" to be just as cliché as Obama's call for "change". I find that too many times, rather than responding to God with "here I am", I respond with "hold on a minute, I'm busy" or "..., I'm tired" or "..., I'm hungry" or "...., I have to go to the bathroom", and you get the point. Maybe that's why it's so hard for me to hear what He is telling me.

It's all too easy to think of dying for Christ when there are the angels spilling their bowls filled with blood and what not upon the earth. If you saw all this happening, then of course you would respond the same way Abraham did. But what makes today any different? What makes it so hard to respond, right now, with a firm, resonant, "here I am?"

Money?
The new Macbooks?
The World Series?
The election?
The new episode of Heroes?

"Most men forget God all day and ask Him to remember them at night"

Let's all fix our eyes upon what really matters.