Monday, January 21, 2008

You Really Got Me 2007

Did anyone else think that 2007 was a f*ckin awesome year for movies? Considering that there are still at least a handful of movies I want to watch, it seems that the studios really delivered this past year. Here's a quick recap of what I thought were the highlights:

Ratatouille

Best. Pixar. Movie. EVER. Yes, better than Toy Story. An awesome story about reading beyond the cover of a book through the story's unlikely heroes. Plus, the visuals were absolutley mesmerizing. When you see Remy going through the sewers, you realize how far Pixar has come.

Once

The raw feel of the movie really emphasized what a gritty task chasing your dreams can be. I think it gave a very robust picture of human interactions, desire, and the "human spirit".

Superbad

The foulest movie I have seen in a while. This movie made up for a plot that I thought dragged a bit with a plethora of one liners that we will all be reciting when drunk for years to come. You see, the funny thing about my back is...

Knocked Up

Alright, personally, I did not find this movie funny at all. I can't remember any particular scene where I went beyond a mere smirk. However, I think that 'Knocked Up' is a very authentic movie about good intentioned people who f*ck up that you can look back on with a lot of fondness.

Juno

I still think the Moldy Peaches suck but Ellen Paige's razor sharp wit, Michael Cera's honesty, Cat Power, and Belle & Sebastian make this movie a win in my book. And FYI, Paige is wrong. Sonic Youth is not "just noise", it is ART.

A short list I know but unfortunatley I still haven't seen 3:10 to Yuma, Michael Clayton, Diving Bell and the Butterfly, Persepolis, There Will Be Blood, and Eastern Promises (which all look very promising).

comments:

still have to watch "once" dammit!
and it's ellen page. =)